A few weeks ago I ordered a desk from a store in SLC. They didn't have it in stock so they had to order it in. I could pay an extra $40 to have the desk brought to my door but decided (hah! someone else decided for me actually, I'm far too indecisive to do it alone) to save the dollars and make a trip up to SLC. Afterall, I could combine the desk pick-up with a stop into Anthro and a delicious Hire's veggie burger. Done.I waited and waited and waited longer than they told me I would for the desk to arrive. One Wednesday night they called to say it was in store. Thursday evening I met up with the Wiley's in Sandy on way up to Trolley Square.
Keep in mind how very much I hate driving to Salt Lake. And keep in mind how excited I am to finally have my new desk and complete putting my room together.
Friday morning I began assembling the desk only to discover they forgot to give me one of the boxes - I was missing half the pieces! I was SO annoyed!! The assembly came to a halt and I quickly called the store. The girl on the phone was less than kind about the whole situation. She checked the warehouse and verified that they forgot to give me one of the boxes and told me I was "welcome to come pick it up whenever I wanted". Gee, thanks. I was frustrated, but just accepted it. I understand that it was an innocent mistake on their part, but why do I have to just accept the consequences?
I called the national line to see what is usually done for customers in this situation. The woman was very nice and gave me instructions to follow to get the situation better resolved by the store. I called the store back but they refused to budge a bit. Their fault, my problem.
Saturday I drove BACK up to Salt Lake after the football game. (Remember how I drive a really gas-inefficient SUV? And remember how much traffic there is after the football games?) I picked up the box from a grumpy warehouse worker. I was 98% sure I was going to leave the situation alone because how important is it all in the grand scheme of things anyway. But with some encouragement, I reported the situation to the national customer service line. Turns out that was a smart move!
"Kimberly" at corporate was kind enough to listen to my story and
REFUND ME 30% OF THE COST OF THE DESK
AND
SEND ME A $100 GIFT CARD FOR THE STORE!!
REFUND ME 30% OF THE COST OF THE DESK
AND
SEND ME A $100 GIFT CARD FOR THE STORE!!
Who even knew stores did stuff like that?! I am so glad I persisted and didn't passively sink away as I normally would. I feel 1000x better about whole situation (Ken said now aren't you SO glad they forgot to give you that box?) and the discount brings the desk much more comfortably into my price range. I probably would've been happy just with the store credit but I'll take the refund too!
Anyway, here is the (fully) assembled desk in my room. I tried to take a photo with me in it but it cut off my head and I was too lazy to redo it, sorry. By the way, the extra piece on the left is the side cupboard unit from Downeast that inspired the whole purchase.

P.S. There is only 1 part of the room left to show. It has a dresser with knobs similar to the desk (red and all). But I'm thinking I will buy new, fun knobs for both the dresser and the desk, just to dress it up a bit and tie them together even better. Bad idea? Good idea?
Anyway, here is the (fully) assembled desk in my room. I tried to take a photo with me in it but it cut off my head and I was too lazy to redo it, sorry. By the way, the extra piece on the left is the side cupboard unit from Downeast that inspired the whole purchase.
P.S. There is only 1 part of the room left to show. It has a dresser with knobs similar to the desk (red and all). But I'm thinking I will buy new, fun knobs for both the dresser and the desk, just to dress it up a bit and tie them together even better. Bad idea? Good idea?
4 comments:
haha I love this! I wish I got the complaining phone call from you!
Yeah, I was not one of the people who you complained to. Had I been, I would have been 100% in favor of complaining. Knowing the store, I would have know 100% that complaining would only bring you a reward with that particular company. Totally worth it. They came through for you, as they should.
Interesting though. You thought you would save $40 by not paying the delivery fee. Had you paid it, and they forgot the pieces, they would have simply re-delivered them to you, without any additional charges. That would have been the extent of their compensation. So I guess, you really did "save" by not paying that $40 delivery fee.
super cute desk. it looks so good all put together.
That's fantastic! I'm so glad you got rewarded for all your trouble.
P.S. Your blue dot skirt in the picture looks so good on you.
Post a Comment