Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Running on the weekends.


7:00 am. Alarm goes off. Shoes ready by the bed.

Cold weather running gear unpacked and ready.

Four safety pins. One race number. Nerves.

Light snow falling. 38 degrees. Handful of antsy participants.

Race begins. No turning back.

Mental strength. Mental tears.

Finish line in sight. Last push. Done.

Good feelings lasting the whole day.


After a long (read: way too long) summer break without any running during my spring and summer in Europe or Jerusalem, I finally feel like I'm back in the zone. I'm more excited than ever for the Rose Bowl 1/2 coming up in December.

Side note: I was shocked when I walked into the gym in Jerusalem to find not a single treadmill. Can you say false advertising? I was really counting on being able to run those couple months. And running outside, with 2 other people, in long pants and 100 degree weather just wasn't a realistic option.

The last couple weeks I have had some of the best runs of my life. The kind of runs that made me fall in love with running in the first place. The ones that leave you feeling so strong and capable, like you could just go on forever.

It may or may not be connected to my lack of treats. It hasn't been easy to break the habit, but clearing my blood of the constant stream of sugar has certainly led to a tangible change in how I feel. So I'll stick with it for now.

There has been a small race of some sort in Provo every single weekend since I got back in August. And still going strong! Next Saturday I'll participate in the 5K for Nie, and you should too! Spring in Provo brings 1/2 marathons on several consecutive weekends, I plan to participate again to the fullest extent.

It's so good to be back.

P.S. I swear Coldplay creates some of the best, pick-me-up running songs in existence. Maybe they're extra effective because I never listen to the radio so they haven't been all played out for me. First Speed of Sound, now Viva la Vida. Whenever those pop up on the shuffle I definitely pick up the pace.

What other songs help distract you through your cardio?

3 comments:

Annee said...

Because of you, I am now three days free of treats. It's a very small step in the right direction. I told my boys that if I stay "clean" until dad gets home, I'm paying myself $100. I will email you a list of songs.

Rachel F. said...

Wow! That's awesome! You can totally do it. That's an awesome reward and a great way to motivate yourself.

Zack said...

Hey Rachel,

Thanks for inspiring me to do the Rose bowl 1/2 too! And isn't it great to be treat free? That's what I was talking about during beach week if you remember... our body just gets used to eating certain things at certain times, whether or not we're hungry. Anyways, you are such an inspiration, keep up being awesome.