
It was pretty cold but not unbearably so, and there's no snow around. We walked around the many booths and shops lining the streets. There were tons of people and the overwhelming smell of alcohol as people stand to sip their Gluhwein in the market mugs. It took some work for us to find a booth that still had mugs of the 2008 variety but we ended up with 6! It's a great collectible.


Christine and I picked out some decorations from the booths. Mom made some stops in Kathe Wohlfarht.


On Wednesday the 24th we all ventured out to the Zeil in Frankfurt to catch the shops before they close for Christmas. It was a madhouse!! Dad noticed that there were lots of people out walking around, but very few people had any shopping bags. Weird, since its Christmas eve, the last chance to buy what's left on the list.


We rushed over the Karstadts at 1:45pm to try to buy some candy and snacks (and broccoli) for Christmas before they closed at 2pm. At exactly 2:01pm we could see employees coming from upstairs literally running to leave the store. Walking through the department store to our car at 2:25 was almost eerie because the place was SO empty. They don't joke around. Luckily, we knew that was coming so we were able to buy all we needed before the ultimate shut down.

On our way home from the Zeil, Christine and I were ready for lunch but the city was pretty shut down so options were limited. We settled on the McCafe, reminiscent of our Christmas Eve In n Out tradition back at home. Their chocolate chip cookies are quite impressive. Dad claims they're the best cookie in all of Germany. I don't doubt he's done the research.

The rest of Christmas eve was pretty quiet with wrapping and resting and such. Mom made a nice soup for a late, light dinner. After a reading of the Christmas story we were off to bed.

Oh and don't worry, we've got the TV fire to keep us warm.
4 comments:
Thanks for the update, Rachel. Sounds like you're doing it up right and catching the Christmas cheer that only Europe can provide. We sure miss all you guys and wish we could be closer. Maybe next year?
I'm so jealous it's ridiculous! My family lived in Germany for four years and the Kriskindelmarkets are the best! I hope you got some Kinderpunch! Keep keeping us posted on your fabulous German Christmas!
Those Christmas markets look so fun if not impossible to pronounce. Also, I really like that TV fire.
Oh my goodness, I had no idea you went to Germany for the holidays. How I MISS those Christmas markets in Germany! There is nothing like Christmas in Germany. Also, I'm jealous you got to go to Kaethe Wohlfahrt. I hope you got some good stuff there...
Post a Comment