Since we've been married, Ken has developed a love/hate relationship with the word fritter. It took me a while to articulate just what I meant, but finally at the end of a Saturday full of no lists or accomplishments, I explained to Ken as I plunked down despondently on the bed, "I just really, really hate FRITTERING the day away." And thus No Fritter Zone Weekends were born.
Luckily, I heard a talk by President Monson (given at BYU, talks about the 5 "gates" of life, must find link...) where point #2 was "Don't fritter your time away. You must have a plan or life will pass you by." With the prophet on my side there's just no losing!
I don't know where it came from, but I really need a list and a plan and usually a schedule to feel accomplished. The items on the list don't need to be substantial (ex. Item 4 on today's list "Watch Laker's game") but there needs to be a plan for the day. Especially days without any structure like Saturday and the latter half of Sunday. Without a plan, the day just slips away with Pawn Star reruns and cuticle cutting. I really hate getting to the end of a day or a weekend without getting anything done, especially since free time is so scarce these days. This doesn't mean days are full of work only, the list frequently includes "Get a pedicure" or other such leisure, but at least it's written down and thus more likely to actually happen. Is this so crazy??
This weekend, we tackled our two storage closets. We had done a preliminary sorting and stashing when we moved in, but I've been dying to do a full sort and purge ever since. Today was finally the day!
Did we realize we had NINE suitcases in our closet!? Each of these has a smaller bag inside. Wow! We must move a lot.
And oh the hangers. I really, really hate buying hangers. Because why should they be so expensive? And who has to buy hangers?? Hangers are just one of those things that exist in your closet, until you leave home and no longer have hangers and must face the fact that 1-you don't have a home anymore and 2-why is a 10-pack almost $10 and 3-what if need more, isn't CZ moving here soon?? We whittled the extras down to 1 small box. Perfectly reasonable.In the end, 5 boxes were driven to a dumpster and (illegally) tossed under cloak of darkness.
When we got home Ken said "You know what we didn't do today?"
Me "What?"
Ken "Fritter."
Ahh.... He loves me.
Ie Li has posted our sister update of the week HERE.

Did you see Annee's posting of the sister post last week? It features vintage graduation photos, which means I sorta hate the post, but I'm dealing with that...
2 comments:
I love the act of frittering. But it's later, after i've done it, that I start to regret my decisions (or lack thereof, really). I agree, list making is the only way to have a successful weekend when you're so busy during the week you know you won't be getting much of anything done.
Also, that pic from the car makes your hair look super short. But I'm thinking maybe it's just tucked behind your shoulders?
Yeah just over the shoulder. I wonder if I'll get the guts to change my hair style before I turn 50...
Also, I saw this quote "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." Interesting thought huh!
http://pinterest.com/pin/1613571/
Post a Comment