Sarah

Last week:
- This was the week of pre-trip errands - most importantly to find new jeans for Oliver. We threw out his last two pairs once the holes in the knees were big enough to fit his whole leg through, and unfortunately discovered Target was no longer selling his favorite kind (Shaun White brand skinny jeans). So we went on a hunt - every store/brand every type of skinny jean and none of them were skinny enough. Or else those that were weren't the right color or didn't have the adjustable waist and were too big around for him. So plan B - try girls jeans - back to every store to find skinny jeans with no flowers/sequins/frills. Jackpot back at Target with their Cherokee brand. Shhhh don't tell anyone they are girls jeans. He's actually quite enjoying the extra stretch.
- Finished cutting out the dead wood from the roses out back. Buds are forming. I'm sad I will miss the great blooming while we are away. I think I'll miss the blooming of the dogwood tree too. This happened last year too - we need to stop planning trips for the first week of June.
- Made major progress on my work project. Need to do more this week and demo to my boss before we leave.
- Brenden's first baseball game!
- Cub scouts committee meeting. Rooftop planning meeting. Sharing time lesson. Tons of laundry. Ate out too much.
I really need to accomplish a lot this week before our trip. Inefficiency or disorganization is not an option.
- Knitting store - get supplies for George's stocking
- Tailor - drop off 2 pairs of Scott's pants and one pair of my jeans for a hem
- Plant window boxes and vegetable garden
- Update blog
- Finish (?!) and demo work project
- Mountains of laundry
- Transfer all the supplies and responsibilities for the June 3 rooftop show
- Pack!
Annee
Last Week:
I feel like this was another banner week where I accomplished the goals that I aspired to last week. Sometimes goal setting really works!
This Week:
Ie Li

Last week:

Last Week:
This Week:
I feel like this was another banner week where I accomplished the goals that I aspired to last week. Sometimes goal setting really works!
- All four kids practiced five times by Saturday afternoon! There was an incentive. If EVERYONE would meet the five-time goal, as a family we could go out to dinner on Saturday night, to their favorite restaurant. It’s Sweet Tomatoes, otherwise known to the Z’s as Souplantation. We have one in Cary. It takes about 30 minutes to get there, so we don’t go often. But the kids dream about it! It was the perfect incentive. I should use incentives more wisely.
- I ran 5 times! It was hard because I was trying to do a lot of different things this week. Running is easy to push to the back burner when there is no specific race to train for. But since I had said to my sisters that I would run five times, I really felt like I had to do it!
- I sewed Monday-Friday. It was epic, and awesome. In truth, I do not usually sew every single day. I usually just sew a few times a week. To sew for a few HOURS everyday, was a rare treat. I completed seven different articles of clothing for the girls (sorry boys!). They almost all worked, or will work. It was so much fun. I blogged about it daily at Made on Maple.
- I did sub all day long on Friday. I am the regular sub for one of the first grade classes at our elementary school. Whenever that teacher needs to be out, she calls me. Its’ kind of cool to be so familiar with the class. It no longer feels like you are a stranger walking in to an unknown, rather, I’m a part of that classroom. The kids know me, I know them, they act excited on the days that I join them. It’s fun. I never thought I’d be an elementary school teacher. But now, sometimes I wonder...
- The laundry is caught up!!!! I did a major clean out of the girls drawers and closets. The only things left available to them are seasonally appropriate, and in their size! I made them help me gather up all their laundry, do it all, and get it all back into place. The boys are learning to take responsibility for their laundry too. I really don’t see why I should be the only one in this house who does laundry!
This Week:
- I need to keep running. Though I ran five times, they were not always quality runs. They were runs, because I said I was going to run. I hope to have a few more quality training sessions.
- Sign all four kids up for swim team. It starts this week! I hear it’s a huge FAMILY commitment. We still have baseball going on, and Henry’s basketball session, and piano. To add on two hours of daily swim practice sounds kind of exhausting. But I REALLY believe in the value of swim team. I REALLY do. I’m just signing them up. That’s all. We do hard things around here. Get used to it kids! It ends mid-July. I can do anything for 9ish weeks! Right?!!
- Finish some quilts! I have three in the works right now. I just started my beach quilt tonight. I still have my queen size one, and a baby one not finished. It is very clear I do not enjoy the “quilting” phase of quilting. I will conquer that hurtle this week. One of those quilts will be completely done by the end of this week.
- I really should try to rally some enthusiasm for Beach Week Book Club 2011. I tried about three years ago to get everyone to read “Persuasion” in time to have a Beach Week discussion book night. I think no one thought I was serious. Or maybe no one had time to read, pre-beach week. Does anyone this year? A family book club is sort of my dream. Any takers? CZ, I kind of think you at least have time to read a book with me. No?
Last week:
- Preschool, swimming, story time
- Finished listening to Charlotte's Web with the kids.
- Planted basil and green beans. I am obsessed with my garden. I love to sit by my plants and stare at them.
- Mei Li, Mi Na and I had a girls' night with friends while the boys went camping.
- Plant some more seeds! Why not?
- Preschool, swimming, story time
- Visit with an old friend.
- Visiting teaching
- Listen to E.B. White's Trumpet of the Swan with the kids in the car.

Last Week:
- --I got a brand new iphone! Apparently they have an unofficial "one free swap to keep the customers happy" policy. Amazing! Downside: my apps didn't transfer correctly leading to 3 hours of re-finding and re-sorting etc.
- Worked in the office 1 day so I was able to run home 1 day. I've enjoyed Chantilly, but I am really looking forward to running home from work again. It makes me so happy.
- Anniversary ebelskivers on Thursday evening. 6 months, woo!
- A hugely productive weekend including pulling out the fridge, defrosting it, fixing a leak, cleaning the entire thing inside, outside and underneath, replacing the old gross microwave, finishing the bedroom photo wall, hanging the tie rack.
- Cooked a pot roast using herbs from my very own herb garden!
- Made it through 2.5 seasons of Gilmour Girls (while cleaning, organizing, cooking. Basically an audiobook substitute). Trying to finish it all in time to give the DVDs back to Sarah at beach week.
This Week:
- Spend more time on my hair, but in new ways. Three new hair styles is my goal. Through Pinterest, I discovered this new website Hair Romance with tons of great hair ideas. I may need to buy new bobby pins.
- Make bruschetta for enrichment on Thursday
- Test out this awesome Groupon-like website for DC restaurants called Village Vines. We're finally going to try Acqua Al 2 but for 30% off the entire bill! Excited.
- Lucketts Spring Market on Saturday!
- Work BBQ on Saturday in Chantilly. Which reminds me, why is gas still so darn expensive. The price of oil has gone down $15/barrel but gas hasn't moved. When oil goes up even $1 a barrel the next day gas prices are higher. I think there's something fishy going on...
Christine
(Picture may be coming later?)
Last week:(Picture may be coming later?)
- Finished three assignments for my independent study class. That means I only have three left to do! Unfortunately I chose to do the easiest ones first, so the last three may take some more time, but still shouldn't be too bad.
- Worked, a lot. I guess compared to a real job it's really not that much, but when you add in all the driving I had to do it takes up a lot of time, leaving me feeling like I don't have time to do much else. It's also helped me realize that I really don't think I could work in retail long-term.
- Got a ticket booked for my Israel trip (thanks to mom doing all the research for it) and got all of the little details for my travels for the summer hammered out. I fly to Boston on the 24th, then down to the beach on the 28th, then Jordan on June 11, returning to DC on June 27. That means I have to be moved out of my house by the 24th. Luckily I don't have to sell a contract or anything, no one had signed for my room for the summer, so my landlord was ok with me just staying for the month of May.
- Saw Jane Eyre Friday night with Addie. I knew nothing about the story, so I was a little creeped out at times and was getting the impression that it was a scary movie, but in the end I liked it good enough.
- Had my last Sunday dinner with Wiley's and parents since they're all leaving out of town for my real last Sunday in town. Makes me pretty sad to think about leaving them, mainly I just don't really let myself think about it.
This week:
- Work 30 hours Monday-Friday.
- Try to get in some combination of yoga/riding/hiking the Y.
- Actually start packing up my room. I'm now into crunch time, and really it's not just my room, there's stuff all over this house that will need to be packed up that I'm afraid I'm ignoring. Along with packing up my room I need to decide what to pack into my suitcase that I'll be living out of for a month+, which will include time in Boston, DC, at the beach, and Israel, etc. That could be a tricky task keeping it all down to one suitcase.
- Finish two more of my assignments.
***********************************************
And now, introducing our special guest - Summer Little.
It's hard to write a thorough introduction to someone so near and dear to my heart. Summer and I met in 2nd-ish grade and have been BFF ever since. Which really is an understatement. I don't have hardly a single memory from elementary school and high school that does not include Summer. I firmly believe we were placed in each others lives very intentionally and specifically to help us both become the people we needed to be. You don't get many friends like that in this life so I am forever grateful.
This morning while getting ready I remembered: Summer is the person responsible for my switch from a center part to a side part which heaven knows my face needed. Summer also helped me realize how important mascara is to my color-less eye lashes and sleepy, squinty eyes. Thank heavens for friends like that, right?!
Summer naturally became a member of the family joining us frequently for sleepovers, dinners, vacations, etc. We decided to include her this week as an honorary sister. Summer lives in Georgia now with husband Travis and two kids, Finley and Nash.
When I get home I may update this with a vintage Summer and Rachel photo :-) Here's my visit to her last year.
****************************
And now, introducing our special guest - Summer Little.
It's hard to write a thorough introduction to someone so near and dear to my heart. Summer and I met in 2nd-ish grade and have been BFF ever since. Which really is an understatement. I don't have hardly a single memory from elementary school and high school that does not include Summer. I firmly believe we were placed in each others lives very intentionally and specifically to help us both become the people we needed to be. You don't get many friends like that in this life so I am forever grateful.
This morning while getting ready I remembered: Summer is the person responsible for my switch from a center part to a side part which heaven knows my face needed. Summer also helped me realize how important mascara is to my color-less eye lashes and sleepy, squinty eyes. Thank heavens for friends like that, right?!
Summer naturally became a member of the family joining us frequently for sleepovers, dinners, vacations, etc. We decided to include her this week as an honorary sister. Summer lives in Georgia now with husband Travis and two kids, Finley and Nash.
When I get home I may update this with a vintage Summer and Rachel photo :-) Here's my visit to her last year.
****************************
Summer

This week:
Next week:
This week:
- Went to the grocery store 4 times! I never go more than once, but the grocery store was offering a $10 dollar gas card with every $25+ purchase and I just couldn't pass it up. So, I split up my shopping list into $25 increments. Ca-razy, I know. Couponing has changed me.
- Got a car wash. Easily, one of my favorite things (especially post children).
- Sewed a pair of knit shorts for Nash from an old t-shirt. Just practicing.
- Made 8 cards and attended card swap club.
- Went strawberry picking with our little preschool group and used the strawberries to replenish our freezer jam stock.
- Hosted Activity Days at my house. This was our first meeting after splitting the girls into two groups. I now only have (9) 8-9 year olds instead of (18!) 8-11 year olds. I really appreciated the smaller number.
- Went to the Atlanta temple for the first time in almost two years!!! The Atlanta temple closed for major renovations in June 2009 and was finally rededicated on May 1, 2011. It was so fun to be able to participate in the open house and dedication festivities. I'm so grateful to have the temple within 25 minutes again!
Next week:
- Dance class, tennis, preschool...the usual song and dance.
- Swim team starts on Monday and runs Monday thru Friday for 6 weeks. I don't know if I am ready for the everyday commitment/struggle. Supposedly, Finley will learn how to swim?! She'll have to get in the freezing water first.
- Have someone come repair our leaking sprinkler. Boo.
- Apply WD-40 to Nash and Finley's doors. It must be done.
- Sew something. Linen pants for Nash?
- Get a haircut! First time in 9 months. I could cry.
- Exercise? Who am I kidding?
- Super, bonus points, will-never-happen goal: Clean and fill the (3) 55-gallon water drums we have for our food storage that have been sitting empty in the garage for
monthsyears. I can dream, right?

13 comments:
I'll kick off the comments here.
Sarah - all that jeans searching sounds exhausting! I'm glad it worked out. I can't imagine my own shopping searches being multiplied by # growing kids. How do you keep from shopping all the time?! Your updates always make me so tired. I really don't know how you do it. Do you?
Annee - way to go on the practicing success! All in a week full of running AND sewing AND laundry? What a productive week! How do YOU do it?
Also, I am sad I missed out on the swim team time that all you guys got. So although it'll be a sacrifice, do it. Will the girls have green hair all summer? :-)
I'm in for book club!
Ie Li - I am so happy to hear about your love for the garden. I know exactly what you mean about watching it grow. I spent a couple summers planting vegetables in mom & dad's back yard and spent many afternoons outside tending to it all. I want to buy some books and get really good at it. There is much to know. I remember reading and loving Trumpet of the Swan as a kid.
CZ - Tell us secrets about Anthro retail. What makes you know it's not for you long-term?
I can't believe you had your last Sunday dinner. I cried a lot of nights when I first moved wishing I could be at the Wiley's house. I'm sure you will too. That June just stole my heart.
Your packing challenge sounds really hard. Don't procrastinate!
Summer - my goodness busy week!! I am way into the gas rewards at our grocery store too. Sarah is into clean cars post-kids now too.
Do you have any special freezer jam recipe you like? I think I want to try a new one this year, last year's recipe didn't last very well.
I heard a lot on Mormon radio about the Atlanta temple activities and thought of you. Was it a lot of work? I'll say again - do swim team!! I really wish I had.
I love you all.
I shouldve also mentioned that I'm getting a haircut this week where I may very likely be abandoning my blonde color. Eep, that's the plan at least, we'll see if I back out last minute or immediately change it back. Is this a terrible idea??
Also, I'm in for the book club as long as it's a book I can listen to. Unfortunately I don't have tons of time as I had originally thought I would as soon as school was finished, between work, driving, packing, and my class I am completely pressed for time. But, driving and packing provide perfect opportunities to listen to something, so let's get the book picked soon!
I agree listening is best. Anything on anyone's To Read list?
Going dark? Wow! I think it could look great! How dark? Not jet dark brown right? Who is doing it?
Rachel, that seems like a very cool hair blog. Thanks for sharing. I think I should join you at the Spring Market. Let me know when you're going.
Sarah, I love the story of the skinny jeans. You are such a patient mom. Clothes shopping for kids is hard enough for me, I can't imagine what it would be like to add kids' opinions to the mix. I guess I'll know soon enough.
Annee, way to go on accomplishing your goals. I wish I did swim team when I was little. My form is terrible.
Christine, what color are you going with? It's seems refreshing to have new hair and a new life in DC all at once.
Summer, you look beautiful. I loved reading your update. We are kind of in the same boat with little ones at home. I am learning all about couponing right now, feeling like I have no time for exercise or anything else really, but I do make time to sew occasionally. Take care.
Also, I can't promise anything for book club, but I'd be interested to try to fit it in somehow. Steve says he wants to do it.
I'm going to comment more fully soon. If I leave a comment now I can at least stay abreast of the follow ups. How's that for efficiency?
PS- I agree the book should be listenable. Although sometimes I think I should hold a book again, someday.
And somehow I forgot to click on the link to email me the follow-ups!
I loved the freedom of going dark when we lived in Colorado!! You can always go back to blonde, case in point.
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Can you guys even imagine how upset I was when I went back to Target on Monday afternoon to buy 4 pairs of the "perfect jeans" only to discover that between Saturday afternoon and Monday afternoon they had SOLD OUT???!!!! There was seriously a whole wall full of them on Saturday. What the heck. I rushed home and ordered the last 2 pair I could find online. Hopefully these will last us until the end of the summer. Yes, I was just telling Scott the other day what a hard job it was shopping for a family. Especially the way we've learned to be thorough and investigate all options and be careful with prices, etc. It is seriously a chore.
Annee - I can't even tell you how jealous I am that you're signing your kids up for swim team. And I love that you're just going to do it and everyone can deal with it. Our only swim team option here is at the country club, so I'd have to get someone to sponsor me to sign the kids up and I don't want to do that unless I know they'll be willing participants, which they've informed me they are not. I am sad about that. Maybe I'll start working on June and Huck now to set the expectation early.
Also I can't believe Sweet Tomatoes is your kids favorite restaurant! Way to go instilling those deep-rooted Zackrison Family Values.
Let me know how it goes teaching your boys to do laundry. I wonder if my boys might like that - they might like having more control and not having to wait for me.
Ie Li - I'm excited you've gotten the gardening bug. I love watching over the plants too. I love having fresh basil - last summer I'd eat it every day with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella on toast. And fun for the kids to get involved too. I remember when Rachel went through that gardening phase at home.
When/where/how do you listen to those books with the kids? Do you all sit still and listen together? Or do you just have it playing in the house while you're doing other things? Sounds nice.
Rachel - what do you put in your aebleskivers? I do so love the gilmore girls. I wonder if it's been long enough since I watched them last time that I could start it over again. I'll be dreaming of you at the Lucketts market on Saturday. So jealous!
CZ - I know those pictures I took on Sunday were all a little funny, but you really should share one so everyone can see that great dress you were wearing! I can't believe this week is it. Wanna try for 6am yoga tomorrow or 7am yoga on saturday? Or we could do a 6am hike to the Y on friday. let me know.
So did you go dark? I was looking at a picture of us the other day and thinking I was getting a little tired of being the only dark-haired one.
Summer - WELCOME!!! You are so cute and so domestic! I'm super impressed with your couponing and canning and sewing and card-making. So great. And yes, I too love a clean car. Driving a mini van is bad enough - much better if it doesn't have crumbs and baby socks and toys strewn about. And at least you have the 55-gallon barrels - I've had "get water barrels" on my super bonus points never going to happen todo list for years.
Sarah, we just listen to the books while we're driving. Listening to E.B. White himself read Charlotte's Web was amazing. Much more amazing than when I read it as a child. I love how quiet everyone is when we're listening to a book.
Sarah, awesome comment. I can't believe the jean search has been so epic! I hope that these two more pairs will help get through until the fall when they bring all the jeans back. Which really will start happening in July, so surely you should be able to make it until then!
Two days down of swim team, and probably my kids would make a paper chain counting down how many days left until they get to be DONE. It's exactly how I remember it being when I was a kid. Kind of random, hard, at times hard, cold! It's not totally swim weather consistantly yet. The last ten minutes of the boys practice yesterady was in the pouring rain, but no lightening so it went on. George has told me repeatedly he doesn't see how this is going to benefit him later in life. He just doesn't even have a clue yet, how grateful he is going to be to me, later in life. Yeah, it's totally hard making kids do things they don't want to do. But I'm just telling them they actually have no choice in the matter. Next year, they might get to have a vote, but this year it's a total dictatorship, and I'm the boss. They were doing sit-ups and push-ups and planks today. Tell me why this isn't totally awesome?! But right now, I'm not winning any "MOM OF THE YEAR" awards from my kids. (though the girls really don't have any complaints yet. They actually have friends on their teams).
Anyway, the next big car trip we take, I think getting a family book to listen to through Audible sounds pretty cool. I wonder if I have missed my opportunity having not started that tradition when they were younger. Who doesn't remember listening to the Adventure of Sleepy Hollow while driving to grandma's house in PA? Even though I would fall asleep and wake back up, I loved listening to that book.
CZ, you sound totally busy. Wish I could be around to help you pack out. Moving is so hard! I totally wish too I could come hike the Y with you guys at 7am Friday morning.
Summer! You are so wise to start Finely with swim team when she is still young. She'll grow up doing it, and not know life any other way! Stick with it! I would totally go to the grocery store multiple times in a week if it meant I was getting a sweet deal on gas. What the heck with the price of gas?! Darin and I were remembering when we lived in TX back in 1999, we paid $.89 per gallon when we first got there. Also, keep sewing. It gets easier!!! You get faster. I'm so glad to share the joy of sewing with a new "sister".
Can you believe we're all going to be together so soon?!
Hey Rach, does Summer have a blog? I haven't seen/talked to her in too long!!!
Post a Comment