Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Camel ride!

I forgot to include photos from my first (and last?) camel ride! On Wednesday, after we visited Valley of the Kings we took a Faluka (boat) ride down the Nile. We got off on the other side of the river and boarded camels for our hour-long ride through Egyptian farmlands and rural cities.

Here I am on the Nile.
And yeah, I know I'm wearing sunglasses in basically all my photos..

So clever!
The girls on my Faluka
The guys on my faluka


"How are you? Is good? Is good lady? No problem, no problem!"
You can't see inside very well, but it's an amazing shoe making shop!


Funny story -- I was wearing a skirt because, oh I don't know, its 108 degrees in Egypt. I get on the camel and my guide immediately wraps my legs with the nasty-camel-saddle-blankets (you can see my legs wrapped in black in the photo above). It was itchy and smelly and way too much skin-to-Egypt contact but he insisted that because we were going through Muslim areas it was a must. There were moments as we drove by groups of nasty men that I was glad since being blonde makes you stand out enough as it is. However, none of the other girls in skirts had to do this. I'm a little suspicious he wanted an excuse to keep touching my legs to rewrap. Gross

It was definitely the experience of a lifetime!

1 comment:

sarah said...

Wow that is insane. So what's a faluka? I gather some sort of boat? It looks like the guys in your group have discovered the practicality of the desert head-dress?