Saturday, July 5, 2008

Did you hear about this?

July 3, 2008

Palestinian Kills 3 With Construction Vehicle

At least three people were killed by the lurching vehicle, and more than 40 were wounded, Israeli officials said.

The police said that they were treating the event as a terrorist attack and that the driver, about 30 years old, was a resident of Sur Baher, an Arab neighborhood of East Jerusalem, which was captured by Israel in 1967 and then annexed.

“There is no doubt at all that this was a terrorist attack,” Micky Rosenfeld, a police spokesman, said at the scene shortly afterward. He added that the authorities were investigating whether the driver, identified by acquaintances as Hussam Dweikat, had acted alone.



It is surreal to think I was walking on that exact Jaffa Road after eating our falafel through Jaffa gate into the Old City the day before this attack occurred. Thankfully, we were all out on a field trip that day so no one was out and about in the city. Because of that, I heard about it in probably the same way that you did - from the news. We're very well protected and this is a big city so what happens in one area doesn't really impact the rest of us, despite how it seems on the news.

Don't worry, I promise the Lord is watching out for us.

3 comments:

sarah said...

Wow how scary. I was wondering about you guys when I heard about it. I read through all the articles I could find looking for any mention of American students. Glad you are all safe. That's interesting about having security guards walking you guys home. Are they American or Israeli?

Rachel F. said...

Our security guard force is a mix of Israelis, Palestinians, Christians, etc. It's quite interesting that they have all been working together so well a long time now.

Ie Li said...

I'm so happy you're safe. That's really scary.