Thursday, July 3, 2008

Old City Rampart Walk

On Sunday after class (weird huh!) I left with a group of people to explore the Old City. The first item on the list was the ramparts walk. We climbed up at Jaffa gate and walked around on top of the walls until we got to Dome of the Rock. The area of the Western Wall looks like a military zone! It’s the closest the Jews can get to the temple which is controlled by the Muslims, so they consider it a very holy place and spend time there every Friday (Shabbat eve). They control access to the area and guard it heavily with military men and enormous shot guns.


After the ramparts walk we explored the Jewish quarter of the Old City which was very clean and organized compared to the Muslim & Armenian quarters. I don’t think I can properly describe the feeling and the chaos of the Old City. For now I’ll just post some pictures.

Me and Ashley beginning the walk

Michael, Me, Ashley, Ashley, Elizabeth, Jordan


Old City-ness. Check out those sweet Chacos on my feet...


Muslim cemetary/short cut home

5 comments:

Grandma Z said...

I don't think I've ever heard of an Armenian quarter. Do they represent the Christians? You haven't mentioned the weather. It is not too terribly hot?

Annee said...

I just can't believe you are there! Truly amazing!

sarah said...

I love that picture in the old tunnel. Looks like something straight out of one of those Jesus movies with straw everywhere and people sitting along the sides and donkeys walking down the middle. So cool that you are there.

Rachel F. said...

Yes the Armenian quarter is the Christian quarter. Haven't spent much time there yet...

And yeah the city does look like church movies! It's so crowded it makes the story of the woman touching his garment much more interesting.

It's very hot, there's lots of sweating involved. Especially because to walk to the city we have to go uphill, both ways. It's gross. People are using cabs more often

Hi D said...

Are you not so happy about your Chaco purchase? I love that you are updating your blog so well. I was horrible! I'm taking notes off of yours