Today we went on the Shephelah fieldtrip. The purpose was to understand better the geography of the Old Testament. I’m really beginning to put it all together!
Israel is a very hilly area. Along the coast, you have the coastal plains which were inhabited by the Philistines. The land gradually slopes upwards through a series of valleys and highlands until you reach the Judean Hill Country, where Jerusalem and Bethlehem are located. The hills and valleys between the hill country and the coast stretch out like your fingers towards the Mediterranean Sea, five valleys. Both the Israelites and the Philistines wanted to control the valleys so they could control access into Jerusalem so they were constantly warring over these areas.
We stopped at Maresha in Ben Guvrin valley to climb into some old cisterns used by people to store their water. They dug deep cisterns for collecting rain water and built their houses on top. They also used cave-like structures to raise pigeons and doves! It’s such a weird place, but because they’re below ground, they’re a nice and cool break from the blistering heat above ground.
Can you see all the holes the birds live in? And can you imagine how disgusting it would be down here with 2000 birds?We crawled in a cave called Micah’s cave, in the town where the prophet Micah was from (I know, I didn't remember Micah either until we reviewed it). Actually I can’t really remember now where we were, which is really sad, but I know the main purpose was to vividly illustrate to us what absolute darkness feels like. We had to crawl on our hands and knees through this long, tight, twisty passageway to get there. I started a few times and had to pull out because I was so nervous and claustrophobic but eventually made it. I don’t see the appeal of spelunking whatsoever.
We also stopped in the Elah Valley. I found this to be another fascinating location. On one side of the valley, the Philistines were settled in Gath, which is where Goliath comes from. On the other side of the valley sat the Israelite city Azekah. The Elah valley winds from the Sea up into Bethlehem, which is where David grew up. The famous battle between David & Goliath took place in the valley between these two mountains.
This was another story that I hadn’t reviewed in a very long time. At this stop on our trip I was assigned to give a small summary and devotional which helped me really implant the details of the story in my mind. I guess I won't post my reflections on the Samson and David stories here, because that would probably make this really long and boring. But they are definitely stories worth reconsidering. And you should listen to Regina Spektor's song Samson.
P.S. I just noticed all the pictures I'm posting are solo shots. I promise I have friends! We just don't have lots of time on field trips for photo shoots.. I'll take more around the center.
P.P.S. By the end of the post are you as tired of my outfit as I am??




5 comments:
Very interesting geography lesson. Love the fanny pack. So practical and useful. You should definitely start wearing that up on campus like all the Jerusalem returnees with their messenger bags.
I have to say the outfit was surprising when I first saw the post. Was it required? I would never imagine that you would pick such a get-up out yourself?
Oh yes! Jeans and grubby shirts were required. And the fanny pack is required on all field trips at all times. Yeah I know, it's ridiculous... Not to mention the beautiful chacos. I left my rainbows at home and I'm so depressed about it.
Rachel love,
1. Skirts are key, I've told you that.
2. Even when they say "don't wear skirts", you can still wear a skirt.
3. The fanny pack also makes great use as a purse type thing, fasten it and wear it around your shoulder. I never did, but it was commonly seen.
4. Use an actual purse.
5. Chacos are runner ups for worst shoes to wear in public (Crocs being number one) but they are so functional for Jerusalem
5. What on earth were you thinking leaving your rainbows at home? I could have sworn I told you to take them?
Love you long time. Great job at keeping updated!
You look so beautiful. I think it's impossible for you to take a bad picture even in jeans, a grubby shirt, and a fanny pack.
Post a Comment